Training Certificate Requirements
- A person who handles, offers for transport or transports dangerous goods must
- be adequately trained and hold a training certificate in accordance with this Part; or
- perform those activities in the presence and under the direct supervision of a person who is adequately trained and who holds a training certificate in accordance with this Part.
- An employer must not direct or allow an employee to handle, offer for transport or transport dangerous goods unless the employee
- is adequately trained and holds a training certificate in accordance with this Part; or
- performs those activities in the presence and under the direct supervision of a person who is adequately trained and who holds a training certificate in accordance with this Part.
A person is adequately trained if the person has a sound knowledge of all the topics listed that relate directly to the person’s duties and to the dangerous goods the person is expected to handle, offer for transport or transport:
- shipping names;
- the use of Schedules 1, 2 and 3;
- the shipping document and train consist requirements in Part 3, Documentation;
- the dangerous goods safety marks requirements in Part 4, Dangerous Goods Safety Marks;
- the certification safety marks requirements, safety requirements and safety standards in Part 5, Means of Containment;
- the emergency response assistance plan requirements in Part 7, Emergency Response Assistance Plan;
- the report requirements in Part 8 (Reporting Requirements);
- safe handling and transportation practices for dangerous goods, including the characteristics of the dangerous goods;
- the proper use of any equipment used to handle or transport the dangerous goods;
- the reasonable emergency measures the person must take to reduce or eliminate any danger to public safety that results or may reasonably be expected to result from an accidental release of the dangerous goods;
- for air transport, the aspects of training set out in Chapter 4, Training, of Part 1, General, of the ICAO Technical Instructions for the persons named in that Chapter and the requirements in Part 12, Air, of these Regulations; and
The ICAO Technical Instructions require the approval of training programmes for air carriers. Information may be obtained from the Chief, Dangerous Goods Standards, Civil Aviation, Transport Canada.
- for marine transport, the requirements of the IMDG Code and the requirements of Part 11 (Marine) of these Regulations.